[NatureNS] Glossy Buckthorn

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 21:19:01 -0300

From: nat

------=_NextPart_000_0029_01CF84F1.99B53C50

RE: [NatureNS] Glossy BuckthornHi Again,
    The Acadian origin applies to NS. In general it likely would have =
been earliest settlers. The first Flora of NS (Roland, 1944) Says; =
"Scattered shrubs are found about some of the towns, as Wolfville & =
Truro. South of Amherst it occurs along the roadside and has spread into =
a pasture where it grows like alder bushes." The second (Roland & Smith, =
1964) says the same;verbatim. John Erskine (1975) recognized the Acadian =
connection. He was not always correct (Who is ? He said that Rhamnus sp. =
were used as hedges; not so because cattle graze them bald. And the =
widespread rural practice pre 1960 of nearly everyone having one or two =
cows I suspect kept it from spreading.) but it is surely no coincidence =
that all known stations in his time had Acadian associations.

    Rhamnus these days is just another mine canary. NS sits in the =
exhaust pipe of Eastern North America and this air pollution coupled =
with erratic weather is tough on trees and probably other vegetation. It =
is just hard not to notice when a White Pine or Red Spruce goes into =
decline when it should have the vigor of youth. And especially difficult =
when large areas are affected, e.g. Annapolis Valley. When a sun-loving =
plant invades the 'shade' of coniferous woodland you will likely see a =
sparse canopy if you look up and dead trees if you look ahead.

    There is a world of difference between fall and August. Cutting in =
the fall is sure to be followed by vigorous suckering. Cutting woody =
perennials in August if you wish to killl or discourage them is not my =
recipe. I learned this at least 70 years ago as common knowledge in this =
neck of the woods. To kill Speckled Alder this way takes patience but =
eventually even it will succomb.

    But don't take my word for it. Just try cutting in August or if so =
inclined then lay out a bare bones replicated trial; e.g. 3 blocks, 4 =
plots in each assigned at random to a) cut mid-August, b) cut =
mid-September, c) cut mid-October and d) control. In each plot count =
seedlings, whips (<5 mm diam.) and stems. Cut as low to ground level as =
possible. Count suckers a year later.=20

    When a have a few spare minutes in North Alton I will take some =
digitals..

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

   =20

    =20