[NatureNS] Avian Murder and Mayhem in White Point

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 15:42:03 -0300

I knew it happened. I have seen it happen from time to time but today it is
unbelievable! Ravens have been cruising through picking off nestlings,
mostly Grackles and occasionally a Robin, I think. Grackles have been going
after the Robin young and eggs. Blue Jays are equal opportunity, they just
jump into whatever fray is happening.
Robins began bringing out their young Yesterday. Well today is heart
breaking. Young crows were brought out and they have been raiding the Robins
nests and then the young ones that couldn't fly yet have been dropping to
the ground. A family of crows have been cruising the trees picking up
whatever chicks they can reach. Then in came three Ravens. I'm thinking one
adult and two young. Now even the crows are targets now. The morning started
off so promisingly. There were waxwings cleaning up the apple blossoms. The
trees were full of warblers, vireos and even a Hermit, I think. There are
Goldfinches and young sparrows (song, I think), Purple finches and everyone
was celebrating, raising their voices in glorious song. The Nursery was a
joyous location.
It has just gone quiet. I wonder if there are any survivors.  On the other
hand., the hummingbirds just buzzed in and about rearranging all the others
as they felt inclined. Don't mess with a hungry hummingbird!
We have a cat bird, quite possibly two. I haven't seen any Nighthawks yet
but should be seeing them soon.
No bats here that I have seen and I have been watching for them.
For those who are interested, Steve said Thomas Raddall Park in loaded with
Lady Slippers again this year. They put on an amazing display there.

Best regards, Marg Millard, White Point, Queens

http://MargMillard.ca