[NatureNS] Chipmunk snacks

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 19:20:03 -0300

Dear All,                                        June 12, 2014
    Last week, for at least 10 minutes at Evergreen Nursing Home, I watched
a chipmunk making holes rapidly and feeding on something in a small area of
lawn. When it left, I found many funnel-shaped holes about 2 cm deep and 3
cm across. Some of these had a circular hole in the bottom about 0.5 cm in
diameter.

    I gather it was feeding on some insect that was being detected by sound
or scent because just about every digging was followed by a snack break.
Subsequently I noticed many similar holes in nearby flower beds. It must
have been dark and fairly small because from ~15' away I could not see any
part of this food.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville