[NatureNS] Shortening diet

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 09:21:53 -0300

Dear All,                                        June 14, 2014
    For may years I have put shortening out for birds in the winter and
discontinued when the fire season ended. The rationale being that when the
house does not need heat to remain warm then the birds will have less need
for a heat source.

    This year I have continued because it disappears rapidly and Alison
enjoys watching them. Minor and infrequent users are Chicadee, Song Sparrow
and American Goldfinch. Most is taken by regular visits of  Downy and Hairy
Woodpeckers.

    But now I am sure that some Hairy are using it to feed young. Typically
the Hairy manage somehow to build up a wad of shortening on their beak
(nearly one teaspoon I would guess) and then flies off in the same direction
as before.

    Is there a danger that the young will become malnourished; will the
shortening replace natural nutrient-rich food as opposed to supplementing it
?

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville