[NatureNS] White Lady's Slipper

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 22:04:13 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>

 font-size-adjust: none; font-stretch: norm
At 7:52 PM -0300 6/16/14, David & Alison Webster wrote:
>     It is only in recent years that the name 'Pink Lady's Slipper'
>has crept into usage as a corruption in my view. It is not
>a suitable for a flower that may be pink, white or slightly off
>white.
>
>     Better common names include 1) Stemless Lady's Slipper  or
>2) Common Lady's Slipper.
>
>     Roland & Smith, Flora of Nova Scotia uses #2 only.
>     Fernald, Gray's Manual of Botany 8th ed. has both and also two leaved.
>     Robinson & Fernald, Gray's New Manual of Botany7th ed. uses #1 only.
>
>     None of these three reliable botany books includes Pink.

Do any of them mention Moccasin Flower? By far my favorite colloquial
name for C. acaule...you can tell I grew up in Ontario, eh?

Phil

--

Phil Schappert, PhD

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS, B3P 1J3
902-460-8343 (cell)

philschappert.com
imaginaturestudio.ca
philschappert.ca

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                        (Michael Hedges)