[NatureNS] Mystery squawk in the rocks

From: Nancy P Dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 20:26:49 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

For the past two weeks or so I have been hearing a squawk coming from somewhere in a pile of rocks
on the beach (L Torment, East Dalhousie, Kings Co). This pile was the base of our wharf years ago and extends out into the lake. I hear the squawk occasionally but not every day and sometimes only once in a whole afternoon. Can't even pinpoint where in the rock pile it is coming from when I do hear it.

There are toads trilling on the shore here now but I have not heard any other frogs lately. Although Leopard Frogs, Bullfrogs, Green Frogs, Pickerel Frogs, Wood Frogs and Peepers have all been seen here at one time or another. An odd toad call maybe?  It does not match to any amphibian recordings I have listened to. Perhaps it is something else.

Any ideas?

Nancy

Sent from my iPhone