[NatureNS] Flicker nestling sound

From: Nancy P Dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 08:15:27 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

There is a nest of Northern Flickers at the top of a lichen covered snag near the camp. The nestlings have become very vocal this week. Their sound is strange. To me it resembles the electric buzz or hum you hear near the transformer hubs of power lines. It starts up randomly, not necessarily when an adult lands and/or enters the hole. I could hear the nestlings humming at 4:15 this morning. Why so early? Maybe they are young enough to be like newborn babies and hunger=noise no matter what the hour.

Seems like the sound might attract nighttime predators though.

Nancy
East Dalhousie, Kings Co.

Sent from my iPhone