[NatureNS] Miner's Marsh offleash park...

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 09:23:46 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

on June-23-14 10:00 PM *cpepper@ymail.com wrote:

> Sooo, how much of David Webster's bullshit do we have to put up with
> before we can remove him from the list?

* it's hard to see this as bullshit - it's one of the fundamental
problems facing naturalists and nature in these latter days. Both kids
and society suffer from Nature Appreciation Deficit Disorder, and from
the consequences the grotesque exploitation of the Earth by those
afflicted with NADD. It's a big part of the job of naturalists to
reverse this, and temporarily holding Turtles in captivity is one of the
classic ways of communing with nature and getting started with science -
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/artful-amoeba/2014/06/20/the-slow-painful-decline-of-natural-history-and-its-unintended-consequences/?WT.mc_id=SA_sharetool_Twitter
and
http://www.npr.org/2014/06/18/318307574/is-collecting-animals-for-science-a-noble-mission-or-a-threat
and
http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/christophermajka/2014/06/mary-majka-ninety-years-conservation-and-environmentalism
- just to cite a few links open on my browser at the moment.

fred.