[NatureNS] Miner's Marsh offleash park...

Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 11:14:27 -0300
From: Shouty McShoutsalot <desolatechair@gmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

&gt;&gt;      Mallards and Pied-billed Grebes (2 pairs) ha
--089e0141a5e2d6439704fc959370

I'm with Kieth.  I don't see much value in a mother removing a turtle or
anything else to pacify a screaming child.  Not exactly legitimate research
or educational justification.

Jamie Simpson
On Jun 24, 2014 11:02 AM, "Paul MacDonald" <paulrita2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well Fred I agree with you.
> Dave is a source of knowledge like no other in the area.
> He has given me good advice on many occasions.
> I know that I do drag a red herring across his path from time to time and
> that sets him baying  - I shall not do that the next time!
> As far as dogs, kids and so on unfortunately building a marsh next to Tow=
> does create problems of that kind. I do not have a solution.
> My turtle story is many years ago I took out a fellow to a marsh to let
> him see it. His wife had just knitted him a beautiful white sweater, all
> fluffy and as it was a cool Sept day it was perfect.
> We saw a small turtle and he insisted to take it home to show his kids. H=
> held it in his hands as we drove along. Just then I heard him scream STOP=
 -
> which I did on a little bridge. The turtle wore up stuck its legs and
> he was running in place - shredding the sweater before we got stopped it
> urinated over his stomach and dyed the sweater a marsh brown. Amazing how
> much urine in a small turtle. We tossed the turtle over the little bridge
> into the water.
> When we got him home his wife had kind words for him. They were in French
> so thankfully I didn't understand. We didn't make any more trips to the
> marsh.
> Enjoy the summer
> Paul
>

>   On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 10:23:46 AM, Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
> wrote:
>

> on June-23-14 10:00 PM *cpepper@ymail.com wrote:
>
> > Sooo, how much of David Webster's bullshit do we have to put up with
> > before we can remove him from the list?
>
> * it's hard to see this as bullshit - it's one of the fundamental
> problems facing naturalists and nature in these latter days. Both kids
> and society suffer from Nature Appreciation Deficit Disorder, and from
> the consequences the grotesque exploitation of the Earth by those
> afflicted with NADD. It's a big part of the job of naturalists to
> reverse this, and temporarily holding Turtles in captivity is one of the
> classic ways of communing with nature and getting started with science -
>
> http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/artful-amoeba/2014/06/20/the-slow-pai=
nful-decline-of-natural-history-and-its-unintended-consequences/?WT.mc_id=
=3DSA_sharetool_Twitter
> and
>
> http://www.npr.org/2014/06/18/318307574/is-collecting-animals-for-science=
-a-noble-mission-or-a-threat
> and
>
> http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/christophermajka/2014/06/mary-majka-ninet=
y-years-conservation-and-environmentalism
> - just to cite a few links open on my browser at the moment.
>
> fred.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

&