[NatureNS] Miner's Marsh offleash park...

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 22:13:16 -0300

&gt; natural world.=C2=A0 Some will say, "But there are interpretive signs!"

------=_NextPart_000_02BC_01CF8FF9.7F319BE0

Hi Richard & All,                                    June 24, 2014
    Now that the dust has settled and I have a few minutes I will add =
some thoughts.

    First and most importantly, a key message that I have attempted to =
convey many times, with limited success it seems, is the overriding =
importance of habitat and this includes air, water, climate and freedom =
from disruptions.=20

    If these necessary conditions are out of whack and getting whackier =
then the only thing protected when you deliniate a 'protected area' is =
the delusion that the life forms within that area are thereby protected.

    The Painted Turtle is a good example of an animal that has a dim =
future due mostly to good intentions gone sour. Some 70 years ago they =
were abundant in every pond on our Cornwallis River meadow in Cambridge. =
Seeing a Raccoon track there, in any of the numerous muddy areas, was a =
big event. Dogs were not chained then and any Raccoon that came near =
settlement was likely to be given a canine escort to elsewhere. We grew =
corn every year, some fields ~1/4 mile from the nearest house and never =
lost a cob to Raccoons.=20

    Unfortunately we now have the mirror image of the above, dogs not =
allowed to run and Raccoons abundant everywhere. This would all be =
harmless enough except for one circumstance. Raccoons are fond of turtle =
eggs and quickly learn when and where to look for them.=20

    Raccoons numbers were lowered by disease recently but that will be =
temporary. As I noted some years ago on Naturens ~15?), those who want =
to save Painted Turtles should build Raccoon barriers over turtle egg =
laying sites.=20

    Moving on to more general matters, I was advised nearly 60 years ago =
to be egg-shaped with respect praise and blame but am none-the-less =
grateful for the many words of support on line and offline. And long =
before that we were advised to always "Hew to the line; let the chips =
fall where they may." [thanks to Google I now know the background of =
this 1881 sentiment.]

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

   =20

   =20