[NatureNS] Hyalophora columbia Moth in NS

From: "D W Bridgehouse" <d.bridgehouse@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 21:40:48 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0063_01CF90BE.20E30A90

Hi Nancy & Jim=20

I have had an interest  Hyalophora in NS for some time and they are more =
common than previously thought to be .  They are known  from Cumberland =
, Colchester, Halifax , Queens, Kings , Lunenburg ,  Annapolis and =
Victoria Counties in NS . The range of Hyalophora columbia in NS is =
limited by dependency on larch as  Jim indicated is the larval food =
plant and predominates in low lying boggy areas. Although many counties =
have larch present from which columbia has not been reported over the =
years =E2=80=93 I believe this is likely a sampling artifact.

Like all Hyalophora species, columbia is univoltine and usually flies =
from May to early June depending on spring time warmth.=20
I have seen female moths as  late as mid July in some years.=20

Female columbia can usually be seen at lights after 10:30 pm, but males, =
which also come in to lights, are rarely seen because they usually don't =
fly until just before dawn and will fly away or be eaten by birds as the =
sun rises.=20

Male columbia are seldom seen  because they are seldom seen at lights. =
The calling time of the females is at dawn. Females do come to lights, =
but not as frequently as females of some other Saturniidae species.

A couple of questions Nancy just out of curiosity =E2=80=93 what were =
the sex of your two columbia and what type of habitat is your camp at =
East Dalhousie around  ie larch ? ?=20

Thanx for the update. Also any cecropia flying at your camp yet ?=20

Look fwd to your moth updates as they happen and hope you find this info =
helpful

Cheers =E2=80=93 DB
Derek W.Bridgehouse
Dartmouth, NS