[NatureNS] Hyalophora columbia Moth in NS

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 17:01:28 +0000

&lt;blockquote style=3D
Hi Derek,
Not trying to pry any state secrets out of you, but it would be interesting to know generally how you sample these after-dark critters in out-of-town areas like Mt Uniacke -- do you run a mercury vapour light trap off a portable generator, or do you use one of the less powerful 'black light' (UV fluorescent) tubes that can be run off batteries?   If so in the case of the former, do you worry about UV exposure (eyes, not skin)?
When I was a kid (in UK) we also used to use 'sugaring', painting strips on trees at night along a pathway in a wood with a concoction of molasses, beer or other alcoholic beverage, while just before use adding a few drops of 'essence of pear' as I recall (maybe amyl acetate?).  We'd do the rounds several times over a couple of hours, usually finding a few drunk noctuids at some stations, but it was never as productive as light trapping.  Does anyone still use sugaring?

Might be interesting for folks on this list to know generally what techniques work best for moths or other insects, away from the home's or camp's porch light, and also how you avoid being accused of deer jacking if using a powerful light trap at night in the countryside (seldom a problem back then, in UK).
Steve (Hfx)

_________