Painted turtle; was Re: [NatureNS] Nature Notes

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 15:33:29 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
CC: Matt Keevil <keevilm@gmail.com>

On 6/28/2014 8:23 PM, David & Alison Webster wrote:

>      Were most size classes represented ? (~2"-8")
>      One curious feature that someone may know is the habits of recently
> hatched Painted Turtles. I think I have never seen one with a shell less than 2"  (5
> cm) long which I think (drawing on memory) is about 4 times the area of
> a newly hatched one.

* I think the usual understanding is that the missing size class is
those in their first year of growth, and that they're aquatic, live
among aquatic vegetation, and  don't bask much, and so aren't seen.

fred.
          Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
    study our books - http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm