[NatureNS] Butterflies -Baltimore Checkerspots - South Merland, Antigonish Co.

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 19:17:00 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_00BA_01CF9497.DE3A9EF0

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644

Hi all=20

Yesterday afternoon I spent atlassing for butterflies in some squares =
with no data recorded to this point. I spent time in squares =
20PR04(South Merland), 20PR 03(North Intervale) and 20PR13( Boylston) in =
Antigonish and Guysborough counties. This is back country and in 6 hrs I =
only met 1 truck plus 3 ATV's. One of the ATV's was driven by 2 kids =
prob. under 12 age and when we met on a road turn they tipped a little =
before up-righting. I was creeping along at the time. I sure was glad =
they did not tip. Two adults (likely parents) were in another ATV with =
them. A few violations of the ATV act here I believe!=20

Anyway butterflies were around although some searching was required, I =
tallied 12 species which I will summarize per square below. I found many =
of the butterflies seemed to be fully charged especially the Canadian =
Tiger Swallowtails; it took me quite a while to document one with a =
photo as they seemed to be in constant flight and I had none puddling =
unlike other days.

 My best find was a new NS butterfly for me and a stunning one at that- =
the Baltimore Checkerspot. I found 2 along the power-line near =
Donnelly's Lake. One was cooperative enough for a photo. I think this =
may only be the third record for the atlas period for NS with one found =
a couple of squares over (20NR83) July 7, 2012 by Richard Mash. Richard =
is coming up with great butterflies in that square with more than 40 =
species observed. =20

Areas which were good for butterflies were grassy areas near small road =
culverts for Hobomoks and some chives in flower in an abandoned property =
which had my Pecks, a couple of Hobomoks and a couple Can Tiger =
Swallowtails. I searched a bog for late Elfins but found no butterflies =
in the bog.There was however an unopened white orchid.  Earlier in the =
season almost every bog had either Brown or Hoary Elfin the latter =
another first butterfly for me for NS. Most of the roadsides and =
abandoned fields in North Intervale are full of a tall flowering =
plant-Goutweed maybe??=20

Nothing too unusual for birds although there was a PB Grebe in Haley L. =
and a Great Blue Heron along the edge of Donnelly L. -maybe breeding =
nearby??
=20
cheers
Ken

20PR04
Hobomok Skipper ~4
Tawny-edged Skipper 1 first for year
Northern Spring Azure 6
Silvery Blue 2
Canadian Tiger Swallowtail 10
Northern Crescent 8
Silver-bordered Fritillary 1
Baltimore Checkerspot 2 first ever!
Common Ringlet 4

20PR03
Hobomok Skipper 3
Dun Skipper 1 first for year
Peck's Skipper 1 first for year
Northern Spring Azure 4
Silvery Blue 1
Canadian Tiger Swallowtail 3

20PR13
Dreamy Duskywing 1
Spring Azure    2
Silver-bordered Fritillary 1
Common Ringlet 2

------=_NextPart_000_00BA_01CF9497.DE3A9EF0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Hi all </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Yesterday afternoon I spent atlassing =
for=20
butterflies in some squares with no data recorded to this point. I spent =
time in=20
squares 20PR04(South Merland), 20PR 03(North Intervale) and 20PR13( =
Boylston) in=20
Antigonish and Guysborough counties. This is back country and in 6 =
hrs&nbsp;I=20
only met 1 truck plus 3 ATV's. One of the ATV's was driven by 2 kids =
prob. under=20
12 age and when we met on a road turn they tipped a little before =
up-righting. I=20
was creeping along at the time. I sure was glad they did not tip. Two =
adults=20
(likely parents)&nbsp;were in another ATV with them. A few violations of =
the ATV=20
act here I believe! </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2>Anyway butterflies were around =
although some=20
searching was required, I tallied 12 species which I will summarize per =
square=20
below. I found many of the butterflies seemed to be fully charged =
especially the=20
Canadian Tiger Swallowtails; it took me quite a while to document one =
with a=20
photo as they seemed to be in constant flight and I had none puddling =
unlike=20
other days.</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;My best find was a new NS =
butterfly for=20
me and a stunning one at that- the <STRONG>Baltimore =
Checkerspot</STRONG>. I=20
found 2 along the power-line near Donnelly's Lake. One was cooperative =
enough=20
for a photo. I think this may only be the third record for the atlas =
period for=20
NS with one found a couple of squares over (20NR83)&nbsp;July 7, 2012 by =
Richard=20
Mash. Richard is&nbsp;coming up with great butterflies in that square =
with more=20
than 40 species observed.&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2>Areas which were good for =
butterflies were=20
grassy areas near small road culverts for Hobomoks and some chives in =
flower in=20
an abandoned property which had my Pecks, a couple of Hobomoks and a =
couple Can=20
Tiger Swallowtails. I searched a bog for late Elfins but found no =
butterflies in=20
the bog.There was however&nbsp;an unopened white orchid. &nbsp;Earlier =
in the=20
season almost every bog had either Brown or Hoary Elfin the latter =
another first=20
butterfly for me for NS. Most of the roadsides and abandoned fields in =
North=20
Intervale are full of a&nbsp;tall flowering =
plant-<STRONG>Goutweed</STRONG>=20
maybe?? </FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D2></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Nothing too unusual for birds although =
there was a=20
<STRONG>PB Grebe</STRONG> in&nbsp;Haley L. and a <STRONG>Great Blue =
Heron=20
a</STRONG>long the edge of Donnelly L. -maybe breeding =
nearby??</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>cheers</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><F