[NatureNS] Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz final results

From: Kate Steele <katefsteele@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 13:24:57 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca,

--089e0158ac866a1fc504fdd946b5

Hi everyone,

I received the final tallies for the Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz
from the International coordinator yesterday. There is lots of information
included in an Excel spreadsheet, so if anyone would like a copy, just let
me know and I will forward it along. *Here are some points from Nova Scotia
that I found interesting*:

-- Nova Scotia submitted 39 checklists via the Blitz protocol (not the best
in comparison to other provinces and states, but not the worst!)

-- During the Blitz period (March 1 - June 15) Nova Scotians submitted 23
checklists with at least one Rusty Blackbird reported - eight in March, one
in April, 14 in May, and none in June.

-- Rusty Blackbird observation in Nova Scotia during the 2014 spring season
was up 188% (!) compared to 2013 (8 in 2013 vs. 23 in 2014).

Here are a few points of interest I copied from the International
coordinator's email that might be of interest to some:

During the official Blitz dates (1 March-15 June 2014), a total of *14,865
checklists* that contained at least one Rusty Blackbird observation were
reported to eBird. *New York, Ontario, and Ohio had the greatest number of
individual checklists* with Rusties reported, with 1980, 2179, and 1183
checklists, respectively.

The majority of these checklists were reported as Traveling Counts (9849
checklists) or Stationary Counts (2183 checklists). Only 1586 of these
observations were submitted under the Rusty Blackbird Blitz protocol. *3238
total checklists were submitted under the Rusty Blackbird Blitz protocol;
just over half of these (1652) did not contain a report of a Rusty
Blackbird sighting.*

The *greatest number of Rusty Blackbird Blitz checklists *were submitted in
*Maryland* (410 checklists), *New York* (377 checklists) and *Virginia*
(315 checklists). In Canada, Ontario birders submitted the greatest number
of Blitz checklists (132), with the second-highest number of Blitz
checklists submitted in the Yukon (85).

  *The number of checklists with Rusty Blackbird observations increased 62%
in 2014*, compared with the same time period in 2013. Only 9170 checklists
with Rusty observations were reported from March 1-June 15 in 2013, 5695
fewer than during the first year of the Blitz. Only three
states/territories participating in the Blitz did not show an increase in
the number of checklists reported containing Rusty Blackbird observations. =
The
*number of checklists containing Rusty Blackbird observations increased the
most in Qu**=C3=A9**bec from 2013 to 2014*; Qu=C3=A9bec birders submitted 8=
57
checklists with Rusty Blackbirds in 2014, compared with the same period in
2013. New York and Ontario were second and third, with 644 and 477 more
checklists, respectively.

So, it's good to see that Nova Scotians made an effort in the first year of
the Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz, but it is a three year
initiative and I am confident in our ability to do better next year, and
even better in the following year! *Thanks again to all of those who
participated (whether you found Rusty Blackbirds or not!) or expressed an
interest in the Blitz! *

Kate Steele
NS Coordinator - Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz
katefsteele@gmail.com
(902) 476-2883

--089e0158ac866a1fc504fdd946b5

=3D"font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif">I received the final tallies fo=
r the Rusty Blackbird Spring Migration Blitz from the International coordin=
ator yesterday. There is lots of information included in an Excel spreadshe=
et, so if anyone would like a copy, just let me know and I will forward it =
along. <b>Here are some points from Nova Scotia that I found interesting</b=
>:<br>

ns-serif">-- Nova Scotia submitted 39 checklists via the Blitz protocol (no=
t the best in comparison to other provinces and states, but not the worst!)=

ca,sans-serif">-- During the Blitz period (March 1 - June 15) Nova Scotians=
 submitted 23 checklists with at least one Rusty Blackbird reported - eight=
 in March, one in April, 14 in May, and none in June.<br>

elvetica,sans-serif">-- Rusty Blackbird observation in Nova Scotia during t=
he 2014 spring season was up 188% (!) compared to 2013 (8 in 2013 vs. 23 in=
 2014).<br>

ns-serif"><br>Here are a few points of interest I copied from the Internati=
onal coordinator&#39;s email that might be of interest to some:<br><br>Duri=
ng the official Blitz
    dates (1 March-15 June 2014), a
    total of <b>14,865 checklists</b> that contained at least one Rusty
    Blackbird
      York, Ontario, and Ohio had the greatest number of individual
      checklists</b> with
    Rusties reported, with 1980, 2179, and 1183 checklists,
    respectively. <br>
    The majority of these checklists were reported as Traveling
    Counts (9849 checklists) or Stationary Counts (2183 checklists).<span> =
    were
8 total checklists were
      submitted under
      the Rusty Blackbird Blitz protocol; just over half of these (1652)
      did not
      contain a report of a Rusty Blackbird sighting.</b>
    The <b>greatest number of Rusty Blackbird Blitz checklists </b>were
submitted
    checklists) and <b>Virginia</b>
    (315 checklists).<span> </span>In Canada,
    Ontario
    birders submitted the greatest number of Blitz checklists (132),
    with the
    second-highest number of Blitz checklists submitted in the Yukon
    (85).<b>=C2=A0 <br>
        number of checklists with Rusty Blackbird
        observations increased 62% in 2014</b>, compared with the same
      time period in
      2013.<span> </span>Only 9170 checklists
      with Rusty
      observations were reported from <span tabindex=3D"0" class=