[NatureNS] chimney swift nests-check your barns!

From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 22:49:15 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0079_01CF9D5A.57BC2800

Hi Jim and all:

This evening I discovered chimney swifts nesting once again in my parents'
barn hay loft in East Dalhousie.  About a month ago I saw a pair of swifts
flying very low over the house and barn.  We used to have chimney swifts
nesting on the wall of our barn hay loft over several years (as Jim knows,
since he visited them and observed them often), but the last couple of years
the hayloft window was closed.   This year I was prompted to have the window
reopened when I saw the swifts seemingly scouting out the area.

On the way home this evening, I checked another barn in neighbouring
Cherryfield, and was informed about a swift nest on that hayloft wall that
contained eggs last week, now hatched!   I know of at least two other barns
last year in the vicinity that contained chimney swift nests last year.   I
have no news on those other barns yet this year, but will investigate.  It
seems that July, rather than June, is the month when Chimney swifts
consistently get down to nesting.  As Jim has previously pointed out, those
swifts roosting in town chimneys right now are clearly not "parents"!

The potential of launching a citizen science project on verifying the
presence of chimney swift nests on the walls of barns and out-buildings has
been discussed and may take off one day.  Meanwhile, having folks check out
old barns where birds may have access to haylofts would be a fascinating
preliminary endeavour.  The swifts like to place their nest high up on barn
walls, the tiny sticks "glued" (with spit, ha!) to rough barn boards.    The
tiny nests can be difficult to spot without a flashlight!

It would be great if other naturalists on this list would check out old
barns right now.  Where else are chimney swifts nesting?

Donna Crossland