[NatureNS] Maiden-pink

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 20:35:29 -0300

Dear All,                                        July 16, 2014
    Some 30+ years ago I found some Maiden-pink (Dianthus deltoides) in a
sparse sandy lawn and seeded some on sparse sandy areas of our lawn where it
did well for 5-10 years and then was gradually displaced by sod except for
scattered plants.

    Having found it on sandy soil, seen it do well on sandy patches of our
lawn and read in Fernald (Gray's Manual of Botany) that it was a plant of
roadsides, dry fields and open woods, I took it to be a plant that for some
reason does better under dry conditions.

    In 2011 (?) I installed a drain to carry water from a downspout to the
top of a bank on our lawn. So I was interested this year to see a vigorous
nearly pure patch of Maiden-pink where this drain empties onto the bank.

    It perhaps is found chiefly in sandy areas, with sparse growth of other
plants, because in such places, with less competition for water, it has
access to more water.

YT, Dave Webster, Kentville