[NatureNS] More grebelings, Miner's Marsh, Kentville

From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 08:48:46 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a11c21b063dd91004feef0b7a

hi folks,

After a couple of weeks away from the Marsh, I noticed on the Friends of
Miner's Marsh Facebook page that there were pictures of Pied-billed
Grebelings at the new nest. This makes at least three successful hatches in
this small marsh this season.

This morning, I observed the spectrum of activity:

- 1 lone Pied-billed Grebeling (swimming solitary; larger than those below
and possibly from brood 1)
- 1 adult Pied-billed Grebe (feeding fish to 4 noisy Grebelings in tow;
smaller than above and possibly from brood 2)
- 1 adult Pied-billed Grebe (swimming solitary)
- 1 adult Pied-billed Grebe (incubating on nest)

The solitary adult and the incubating adult vocalized back and forth and
then switched on the nest. When they did this, at least *4,
recently-hatched, Grebelings* (brood 3; tiny - a few days old?) jumped into
the water, then climbed in under the new incubating adult.

cheers,
James

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--001a11c21b063dd91004feef0b7a

m the Marsh, I noticed on the Friends of Miner&#39;s Marsh Facebook page th=
at there were pictures of Pied-billed Grebelings at the new nest. This make=
s at least three successful hatches in this small marsh this season.</div>

ger than those below and possibly from brood 1)</div><div>- 1 adult Pied-bi=
lled Grebe (feeding fish to 4 noisy Grebelings in tow; smaller than above a=
nd possibly from brood 2)</div>

ary adult and the incubating adult vocalized back and forth and then switch=
ed on the nest. When they did this, at least <b>4, recently-hatched, Grebel=
ings</b>=A0(brood 3; tiny - a few days old?) jumped into the water, then cl=
imbed in under the new incubating adult.=A0</div>

=3D"mailto:jameslchurchill@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">jameslchurchill@gma=
il.com</a><br>

--001a11c21b063dd91004feef0b7a--