[NatureNS] Black Currant

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 20:55:01 -0300

Dear All,                            July 26, 2014
    In 1990 and 1991 I planted some Black Currant in the Kentville garden; 5
within 5' of the SW line of our lot; some berries in the 2nd year as I
recall and about maximum by year 6. They are now 23-24 years old. Over this
period they have not had a speck of fertilizer other than about 10 litres of
sawdust or bark mulch per year from the chipyard. To thrive they need only
space and a vicious pruning right after the fruit is off; about 90% of above
ground growth removed.

    Several years ago our neighbor put up a wooden fence that shades 5 of
the plants much of the time so I expected them to go into decline but this
year these plants have yielded much more than ever before. This may be a
shelter from wind effect or a snow-fence effect but whatever it is they like
it.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville