[NatureNS] Nursery Web Spider nursery

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 19:45:25 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

This Nursery Web Spider (Pisauridae- could be Pisaurina mira?) was fun to watch on successive mornings last week as it provisioned its young.

The spider's nursery was nicely suspended on the side of the camp, as seen during the first morning:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/14569376750/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/14756056325/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/14569406869/

The next morning the spider brought a moth over to the nursery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/14775938873/

The following morning there were two items of prey stuck to the nursery:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/14753714354/

I think those are some of the spiderlings along the top left of the nursery in this photo:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/14755751442/

Mother spider was very protective of her young and appeared each time I came near the nursery ball, even during the day.

Nancy