[NatureNS] hellgrammite pupal skin

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 10:18:32 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

This fearsome-looking soft shed skin was hanging on the side of the playhouse/shed ~90' from the lakeshore. Please correct ID if wrong (details below):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/14614819470/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/92981528@N08/14799162024/

There have been both Dobsonfly and Fishfly adults at the lights over the past two weeks. I have never seen a hellgrammite (Corydalid larva), only fishing baits that were supposed to resemble them. It took me a while to figure out what this was. It walked a long way from the lake to pupate.

Nancy