[NatureNS] Birds, Bees, Butterflies and Summer sounds

From: Marg Millard <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 15:14:46 -0300

Our very late nesting Tree Swallows got the last for their young airborne
yesterday afternoon and last evening. It is the first time I have seen two
chicks fly, then three more a week later. There is a family of 3 fresh
catbirds and a Blue Jay and possibly a baby Robin too. I think Momma Catbird
is running a foster home behind the woodpile. It is so much fun to watch.
All feathered moms are shoving food into any open mouth not caring about
species. If it is hungry and hollaring it gets fed!
I could hear a disturbance in the yard a couple days ago so went to
investigate. I watched a Catbird, (making every call of every bird it had
ever heard plus a few engine like noises as well as it swooped down and
snagged the cat's tail! ) a Robin and a song Sparrow both flying at the poor
animal's face and succeeding to put terror into the heart of one of the
neighbourhood cats! A fine sight it was too! beats squirting it with soapy
water!

I heard my first Cicada about 2 pm Aug. 1st.. White Point, Queens.
We are beginning to see Monarchs now as well as the odd Painted Lady and a
Red Admiral or two. Sulphurs and Cabbage butterflies are about more as well.
At Western Head yesterday I saw a Black Swallowtail, the first in many
years. Sadly someone has mowed the flowering plants there so if the Monarchs
and other butterflies come, likely there will be nothing for them. I have a
wee stand of the good plants in my yard that I hope will spread over the
next few years.

On a great note. I have been putting off mowing and weed whacking as our
yard is loaded with bees. All kinds and sizes. Many more than I have seen in
years! sadly it will have to be mowed soon as neighbours don't understand
how important the bees are. Better neighbours I couldn't find so I hate to
upset them. It should recover and bring forth fresh blooms in not too long a
time.

Best regards,
Marg Millard
White Point, Queens
It occurred to me the other day that I hadn't heard a Cicada at all this
July.  I haven't been out much, but in other years I have heard them in my
own backyard, so that shouldn't matter.  I can't remember for sure if I
heard any in late June when it was so hot.  Are others hearing Cicadas ?

For the last week or so, I have been hearing crickets at night in Bedford.
Always a sound that signals the advance of summer, in my mind.

Cheers,

Patricia L. Chalmers
Halifax