[NatureNS] Fall Dandelion, ants

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 01:06:58 +0000

Hi Dave * 2 and others,
Earlier, last year, Fred Schueler mentioned a fly that makes galls in golden rod stems, and that has an interesting life history.  The larva overwinters in the gall during the freeze-up, but according to the Storeys makes protective antifreezes, so is able to survive, eventually pupate and emerge successfully the following spring.  The adult is figured in Steve Marshall's recent compendious 'Flies' book, that I'd also endorse enthusiastically.  The Golden Rod Fly can't fly very well or at all, so if its clump of golden rod is an isolated stand it may remain confined there as if marooned on an island.  Last year I examined a very large interconnected stand of the plant on the seaward side of York Redoubt (old fort outside Halifax) that looked like prime real estate for the fly,  but didn't find any galls at all.

In the Mt Uniacke House grounds the weekend before last the golden rod flowers (popular with flies) were just coming out, and I examined ~15 isolated stands of the plant, probably averaging 20-30 feet separation.  Only one had a number of galls (8), another had one, and the rest had none.  Has anyone in their local travels come across larger numbers of galls anywhere?  They are quite obvious, greenish-yellow like the stem and placed about 3/4 of the way up it, and about 1.5 cm in diameter.   I'd like to collect a few specimens but don't want to decimate the small group of 8 at Mt Uniacke.  I don't know if it is at all realistic, but a few weeks with the gall in the fridge might possibly be enough to simulate winter and hasten development of the larva to pupa, and stimulate emergence in a month or so, without me having to wait until next Spring.
Steve (Hfx)
P.S.  The only other insect-attractive flowerhead abundant at Mt U was the purplish thistle-like 'Ironweed' (the name I was given).  Whether or not it is the same species, shouldn't Knapweed be spelled with a 'K'?