[NatureNS] young birds and water

From: "John & Francine Belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 21:37:45 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_015C_01CFB5AC.7D30B460

Judging by this evenings events young birds are as fascinated by a spray =
of water as my grandchildren are. I took out the hose to refill the bird =
bath and immediately attracted a family of young Chickadees which came =
fluttering all around me. One got so close I was able to touch it. When =
I moved moved to water the flower beds the bushes came alive with small =
birds trying to get close. Keeping the hose still and trained on the =
edge of the bushes got surprising results with a number of immature =
birds making their way closer, accompanied by the adults. The boldest =
were a family of Red-eyed Vireos which came right up to the spray and =
only a couple of feet away from me.  A family of Yellow Warblers got =
almost as close. In both cases the adults were feeding the juveniles and =
seemed to be finding lots to eat in my hurricane damaged birch trees. =
The usual robins and song sparrows were also attracted. The humming =
birds buzzed by, getting very close, but they are so quick I don't know =
if the are young or adults. A small group of Cedar Waxwings were also =
clearly drawn to the spray but wouldn't get closer than the top of the =
trees above my head. They too seemed to have scruffy looking juveniles =
that were the most excited. When I shut off the hose everything =
departed.

Perhaps a small water spray is a good way to attract birds at this time =
of year..
John Belbin - Hantsport
------=_NextPart_000_015C_01CFB5AC.7D30B460

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Judging by this evenings events young =
birds are as=20
fascinated by a spray of water as my grandchildren are. I took out the =
hose to=20
refill the bird bath and immediately attracted a family of young =
Chickadees=20
which came fluttering all around me. One got so close I was able to =
touch it.=20
When I moved moved to water the flower beds the bushes came alive with =
small=20
birds trying to get close. Keeping the hose still and trained on the =
edge of the=20
bushes got surprising results with a number of immature birds making =
their way=20
closer, accompanied by the adults. The boldest were a family of Red-eyed =
Vireos=20
which came right up to the spray and only a couple of feet away from =
me.&nbsp; A=20
family of Yellow Warblers got almost as close. In both cases the adults =
were=20
feeding the juveniles and seemed to be finding lots to eat in my =
hurricane=20
damaged birch trees. The usual robins and song sparrows were also =
attracted. The=20
humming birds buzzed by, getting very close, but they are so quick I =
don't know=20
if the are young or adults. A small group of Cedar Waxwings were also =
clearly=20
drawn to the spray but wouldn't get closer than the top of the trees =
above my=20
head. They too seemed to have scruffy looking juveniles that were the =
most=20
excited. When I shut off the hose everything departed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>Perhaps a small water spray is a good =
way to=20
attract birds at this time of year..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>John Belbin - =
Hantsport</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_015C_01CFB5AC.7D30B460--