[NatureNS] Nature Notes

From: Angus MacLean <cold_mac@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 22:09:34 -0200

--_ff358b88-179e-4e8e-a4dd-7743d5d47cf1_

This afternoon along Butler Road (S. of Kentville) & elsewhere=2C there wer=
e surprising numbers of bumble bees on Knapweed & Goldenrod. The most commo=
n was Bombus ternarius (Tri-colored Bumble Bee) with lesser numbers of Bomb=
us vagans (Half-Black Bumble Bee) & a few Bombus impatiens=2C the latter ve=
ry common earlier in the spring/summer. There were a few other species but =
I'll have to study my photos closely to determine (maybe) what they were.

One site long Butler R. is great for tabanids especially Deer Flies. Deer F=
lies are apparently attracted to black objects so they often land on the ou=
tside mirror frames
of my vehicle. This can be frustrating since when I try to get close they p=
refer to land on my black camera=2C Nevertheless this offers good opportuni=
ties for pics. Horse flies are a different thing. When they land=2C usually=
 on my legs=2C I try to stun them & get a photo that way. However they are =
tough critters so whacking them & hoping to find them on the ground is a ra=
re occurrence.

Rarely have I been bitten & not at all this summer. Very odd!

Very few butterflies.. a few fritillaries & the usual sulphurs & cabbage bu=
tterflies.
Angus

=20
 		 	   		  =

--_ff358b88-179e-4e8e-a4dd-7743d5d47cf1_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
 (S. of Kentville) &amp=3B elsewhere=2C there were surprising numbers of bu=
mble bees on Knapweed &amp=3B Goldenrod. The most common was Bombus ternari=
us (Tri-colored Bumble Bee) with lesser numbers of Bombus vagans (Half-Blac=
k Bumble Bee) &amp=3B a few Bombus impatiens=2C the latter very common earl=
ier in the spring/summer. There were a few other species but I'll have to s=
tudy my photos closely to determine (maybe) what they were.<br><br>One site=
 long Butler R. is great for tabanids especially Deer Flies. Deer Flies are=
 apparently attracted to black objects so they often land on the outside mi=
rror frames<br>of my vehicle. This can be frustrating since when I try to g=
et close they prefer to land on my black camera=2C Nevertheless this offers=
 good opportunities for pics. Horse flies are a different thing. When they =
land=2C usually on my legs=2C I try to stun them &amp=3B get a photo that w=
ay. However they are tough critters so whacking them &amp=3B hoping to find=
 them on the ground is a rare occurrence.<br><br>Rarely have I been bitten =
&amp=3B not at all this summer. Very odd!<br><br>Very few butterflies.. a f=
ew fritillaries &amp=3B the usual sulphurs &amp=3B cabbage butterflies.<br>=

--_ff358b88-179e-4e8e-a4dd-7743d5d47cf1_--