[NatureNS] Neolithic stone rings etd.

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 05:25:58 +0000

Hi Dave:  You need an astronomer with an interest in history for this, so stand by, hopefully, for input.

Meanwhile, this astronomical observatory idea originated I think with Alexander Thom, based on his idea of a a common unit of length, the megalithic yard (MY) of 2.72 feet.  This unit supposedly had been used with precision to lay out British and French neolithic stone circles.  While this seems not to have been entirely discredited, later critics doubted that there was a unit with this precision in universal use, and that distances could have been measured adequately instead simply by pacing-out, not necessarily by using a common physical yard-stick.  I can't remember the connection, but the MY supposedly was somehow related to an astronomical cycle, indicating that you must have had active neolithic astronomers to make the connection.   Perhaps someone else can remember the connection, or if I've got this wrong.

Not sure about the universal '12' ideas.  The main units of time that we and presumably earlier populations used were based on 3 quite different astronomical cycles that are unrelated.  Days are/were measured based on Earth's daily rotation on its axis, easily counted though not precisely constant.  Months depended on the Moon's rotation about Earth, easily observed as recurring phases of the Moon.  Years are/were measured in time units based on the Earth's orbiting around the Sun -- much more difficult to calibrate accurately, probably accounting for the need to calibrate by building fancy sunrise-observing structures, accurate to the day at solstices.  Very important for correct crop planting.  Unsurprisingly, neither of the smaller units in use at present divide exactly into the largest unit, the year, or into each other, hence yearly movement of Easter, calendar day regression and the need for leap years.  Not clear how you would use a megalith with one annually precise alignment axis to tell the time (for instance the day, month) at other times of the year.

I've forgotten most Euclid, but how do you subdivide a circle easily ('a snap') into 12 subunits?  I can see how you draw the first line and find its centre (will become the centre of the circle) with a rawhide compass-divider, and how you can draw the second diameter at right angles to this with the same gear, and then complete the circle.  You are then left with a circle with 4 equal quadrants, each of which has to be subdivided finally into 3 segments to make a total of 12, like the hours on a clock.  Isn't this the difficult problem of trisecting the angle (bisecting is a snap with a simple compass, but I thought trisection was not)?   Please advise.
Once you've somehow accomplished the trisection of 4 segments into 12 sub-segments with 30° central angles, then 24, 48, 96... segments are easy (bisection), as you imply.  But subunits of 60 segments are not part of this series, so that remains rawhide-unexplained too.
Steve (Hfx)