[NatureNS] Neolithic stone rings etd.

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 14:03:55 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_2CD5_01CFBAED.3F921EF0

Hi Steve, Jane & All,
    The logical way to lay out a 12 post observatory is as follows.
1) Find a relatively level area of open land with unobstructed horizons =
from ~NE  through S to ~NW.=20
2) Prepare 7 relativey slim and untapered, smooth rossed posts; say 2" =
in diameter =20
3) Select the center point and mark it with one of these posts.
4) Select a radius for the circle, braid a loop in one end of the =
rawhide length that is large enough to just slip down over the posts as =
this will be used numerous times. A wooden yoke at the other end would =
increase precision.
5)  Sight from the center post to the Pole Star and mark the position of =
the North and then the South posts using the radius strand. These act as =
a baseline and enable checking the length of the rawhide radius strand =
which if not well oiled and protected can shrink or stretch.=20
DIGRESSION:=20
    The hexagon must have been noticed even before the first crude tools =
were made; Bee & wasp hives/nests, snowflakes, drying silty mud =
deposits, Thallose Liverworts, some large celled Mosses... And if the 6 =
points of a hexagon are joined by drawing lines between opposite points =
you have a cluster of six equilateral triangles. Therefore the radius of =
a circle is exactly equal to the distance between the six points of a =
hexagon that fall on that circle.=20
END OF DIGRESSION
6) Using the above one can proceed to fix the location of the remaining =
4 points of the hexagon. If the ground is readily marked (weak sod or =
cultivated) one could simply inscribe an arc from the center post at the =
approximate location of the next post and then measure this exactly by =
moving the radius strand to the previously fixed post (initially the =
North or South post). If the ground is not readily marked then use of =
two strands of equal length would be indicated.
7) If one proceeded to locate post positions, starting at the North =
post, then the distance from the 4th post should be one radius strand =
from the South post provided no errors have been made.=20
8) Having installed the 6 posts of a hexagon one need only bisect the =
arc between adjacent posts (as before, most readily done if the soil is =
easily inscribed); bisect the line between posts, mark with temporary =
post flush with ground then swing the radius strand around the center =
post until it lies over the flush post. Repeat five more times and you =
have 12 posts equally spaced around a circle.

    After this has been digested I will describe how to mark a 60 post =
circle. Some decades ago, for amusement, I went back in time mentally =
and worked out a way to divide a disk edge into 360 equal parts using =
stone-age hardware and the 60 post layout would use the same stone-age =
"math".=20

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

----- Original Message -----=20