[NatureNS] woodpeckers & bird-house holes

From: Randy Lauff <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 14:55:30 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--001a113b97766ce6890500eb15ec

I've had a couple of nest box modifications over my almost two decades of
working with owls. Ones I've taken pictures of are:

Within the core of the Cape Breton Highlands National Park:
http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/newhole.jpg, a new hole in the side of
the box.

In the Wreck Cove area, a demon clawed its way into the box (I was actually
a bit nervous checking this one):
http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/enlargedhole.jpg

Randy

_________________________________
RF Lauff
Way in the boonies of
Antigonish County, NS.

On 18 August 2014 14:31, bdigout <bdigout@seaside.ns.ca> wrote:

>  A few years ago, a Hairy enlarged our swallow box hole two years in a
> row, until I moved it onto a light post attached to our step.  This worked
> for a year, and had the dual effect of helping to keep the sparrows away.
> This year, the determined sparrows kept the swallows away, even though the
> sparrows couldn't fit in the hole.  Result...nothing nested in this box,
> although Chickadees took up residence in one nearby.
>
>  Billy

--001a113b97766ce6890500eb15ec

most two decades of working with owls. Ones I&#39;ve taken pictures of are:=
ark:=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/newhole.jpg">http:=
//people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/newhole.jpg</a>, a new hole in the side of t=
he box.</div>

 box (I was actually a bit nervous checking this one):=C2=A0<a href=3D"http=
://people.stfx.ca/rlauff/photos/enlargedhole.jpg">http://people.stfx.ca/rla=
uff/photos/enlargedhole.jpg</a></div>

oonies of<br>Antigonish County, NS.</div>
ir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:bdigout@seaside.ns.ca" target=3D"_blank">b=
ote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex=
">

<u></u>
rs in a row, until I moved it onto a light post attached to our step.=C2=A0=
 This worked for a year, and had the dual effect of helping to keep the spa=
rrows away.=C2=A0 This year, the determined=C2=A0sparrows kept the swallows=
 away, even though the sparrows=C2=A0couldn&#39;t fit in the hole.=C2=A0 Re=
sult...nothing nested in this box, although Chickadees took up residence=C2=
=A0in one nearby.</p>

--001a113b97766ce6890500eb15ec--