[NatureNS] Nocturnal Migration for the Week of August 11-17, 2014

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:13:05 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01CFBD30.E1A2DAA0

Hi All,

This year I am conducting acoustic monitoring of nocturnal migration over
Amherst, Nova Scotia. I will try to report results on a weekly basis to
NatureNS. This work is funded by Natural Forces Inc. and is part of an
environmental assessment for a proposed wind energy facility. Since the
acoustic work is being done remotely, I'm using battery powered recording
equipment that doesn't have as a high a reach into the sky (about 150
meters) compared to equipment that can be connected to an electric line
(with a reach of about 300 meters).

As for this week results, most flight calls were the early migrating
warblers. These are dominated by American Redstarts (121 calls) and Yellow
Warblers (63 calls). The number of Chestnut-sided Warblers (58 calls) is
higher than what I have experienced previously in Nova Scotia. There were
also unusually high numbers of Canada Warbler (28 calls) and Cape May
Warbler (26 calls). The rarest bird was Prairie Warbler with 4 calls
detected. A total of 515 calls were detected during the 7-day period. A list
of all birds detected is given below in order of the highest to lowest
number of calls detected.

At the beginning of this migration season, I wish to highlight some main
features of acoustic monitoring of nocturnal migration.

Results are reported in terms of the number of calls and not the number of
birds recorded since it is not possible to determine if a bird has given
more than one call during the time it was recorded.

Night flight calls are primarily identified by looking at the spectrogram
(also known as a sonogram) since flight calls are very difficult to identify
by just listening to them. For many species their night flight call is a
unique call that they give only when migrating at night.

The spectrogram of the night flight calls of some species are very hard to
distinguish from related species. Therefore it is not possible to make
identifications with the same certainty as with visual identification of a
bird. With experience, one can say that there is a "high probability" that a
particular night flight call was made by a particular species. Thus the
results reported below should be seen as a list of probable species detected
with an indication of the intensity of their migration by the number of
flight calls detected.

Nocturnal Migration Summary for August 11-17, 2014 over Amherst, Cumberland
County, Nova Scotia

Species

Calls

American Redstart

121

Yellow Warbler

63

Chestnut-sided Warblers

58

Magnolia Warbler

34

Unidentified Warblers

32

Canada Warbler

28

Black-and-White Warbler

27

Cape May Warbler

26

Unidentified Genus Setophaga

23

Least Sandpiper

21

Ovenbird

20

Bay-breasted Warbler

15

Norther Waterthrush

12

Golden-crowned Kinglet

7

Black-throated Green Warbler

6

Unidentified Songbirds

4

Prairie Warbler

4

Unidentified Birds

4

Northern Parula

2

Blackburnian Warbler

1

Blackpoll Warbler

1

Chipping Sparrow

1

Unidentified Sparrows

1

Killdeer

1

Savannah Sparrow

1

Wilson's Warbler

1

Yellow-rumped Warbler

1

Total

515

------=_NextPart_000_0015_01CFBD30.E1A2DAA0

xmlns:x=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:excel" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>Hi =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>This year =
I am conducting acoustic monitoring of nocturnal migration over Amherst, =
Nova Scotia. I will try to report results on a weekly basis to NatureNS. =
This work is funded by Natural Forces Inc. and is part of an =
environmental assessment for a proposed wind energy facility. Since the =
acoustic work is being done remotely, I&#8217;m using battery powered =
recording equipment that doesn&#8217;t have as a high a reach into the =
sky (about 150 meters) compared to equipment that can be connected to an =
electric line (with a reach of about 300 =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;=
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>As for =
this week results, most flight calls were the early migrating warblers. =
These are dominated by American Redstarts (121 calls) and Yellow =
Warblers (63 calls). The number of Chestnut-sided Warblers (58 calls) is =
higher than what I have experienced previously in Nova Scotia. There =
were also unusually high numbers of Canada Warbler (28 calls) and Cape =
May Warbler (26 calls). The rarest bird was Prairie Warbler with 4 calls =
detected. A total of 515 calls were detected during the 7-day period. A =
list of all birds detected is given below in order of the highest to =
lowest number of calls detected.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'><o:p>&nbsp;=
</o:p></s