[NatureNS] Neolithic stone rings - encore.

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 22:07:14 -0300

Hi Steve & All,
    We appear to be in essential agreement on this. Practical geometric
insights would likely all have come by accident in the course of small scale
and perhaps perishable decorative art exercises; and once recognized and
learned perhaps incorporated as a part of practical culture long before any
attempt theoretical analysis. The latter requires leisure.

    That same article provides a good example of this process on page 33.
where parallel evenly spaced straight lines engraved in stone cross a
sequence of other straight lines to produce a double row of, what we would
call isosceles triangles. And then secondary patterns are inscribed within
these triangles; some messy and some attractive. The two long sides of one
of these original triangles is neatly bisected and the points joined to form
a triangle of identical shape but half as high. Then the base of the
original triangle is bisected and the points joined to form a total of four
identical triangles all within the original triangle that was twice as high.
     If that rather attractive pattern were to become widely used then
someone would eventually notice that when the height of a figure like this
is doubled the area will be four times as great. And if this became
understood then someone might notice that the same applies to squares and
rectangles. And those experienced in dividing fields for various purposes
would say "Well duh".
    Decorative arts would also likely have revealed the circle hexagon
connection. If drawing careful circles using a forked stick with one side
sharpened and the other charred
had come into common usage at some point then someone would eventually have
noticed that by placing the pointed arm anywhere on a circle the charred end
would pass through the center. And someone would have noticed that this can
be repeated 5 more times to yield an attractive flower-like pattern with
six-fold symmetry. Drop the arcs that extend beyond the original circle,
join the adjacent points of the 6 petals and you have a hexagon just fitting
a circle.
    Perhaps more than one person on naturens will recall attempting to draw
this figure exactly, using an even more primitive compass, as a pre-school
rainy-day amusement.

Yours truly, Dave Webster, Kentville