[NatureNS] Darwin's - Origin of Species

Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 19:58:37 -0400
From: Fred Schueler <bckcdb@istar.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Quoting James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>:

> I just finished reading Charles Darwin's - The Origin of Species.
> For the sake of argument has anyone else read this and what was your
> opinion of it?  I found it rather drab and a hard read.

* gosh, I reread it every decade or so (last winter most recently) as
an inspiration for clear prose, thoughtful reasoning, and taking all
objections to one's ideas into account. One of the most exciting books
ever written.

It may help to read Michael Ghiselin's book The Triumph of the
Darwinian Method -
http://ecodevoevo.blogspot.ca/2011/11/triumph-of-darwinian-method-further.html
- to help understand where Darwin was coming from.

fred.

> There were really only two things of real interest to me, which was
> the lifespan of an elephant and the time it takes a female to
> produce it's first young.  Also, that ants will tickle the bottom of
> an aphid to make it excrete and then eat this as food.
>
> It was my impression after reading the book that a lot of Darwin's
> thoughts and discoveries were not his own, but based on the research
> of others and possibly taken as his own.  In comparison to other
> writings by him and of others about his research, which by the way I
> really enjoyed at the time.  I was really disheartened after reading
> the actual Origin of Species also written by him.  I'll look forward
> to others thoughts on this book.
>
> James R. Hirtle
> Bridgewater

           Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
Vulnerable Watersheds - http://vulnerablewaters.blogspot.ca/
     study our books - http://pinicola.ca/books/index.htm
            striving to be, with Rachel Carson,
"fanatic defender[s] of the cult of the balance of nature"