[NatureNS] Northern Cardinal breeding, HRM

From: Andrew Stadnyk <Andrew.Stadnyk@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2014 13:22:05 +0000

--_000_141026891674994947DalCa_

Perhaps this thought has already been cast into naturens and I missed it, b=
ut I think it is worth pondering whether the cardinal infusion, beautiful b=
ird that it is, is a good thing or not. Is this a symptom of other more sub=
tle changes that we are not detecting (decline of another species from the =
niche, bountiful food of introduced species, etc.)? In my 20 years in N.S. =
the cardinal has successfully moved northward. I have seen the decline of t=
he house sparrow parallel with this event. I have also heard the insects fa=
ll silent in my neighborhood, and am convinced the number of bees (and butt=
erflies?) is in steady decline. Why now? (Maybe they rode here on the backs=
 of the grey squirrels; seems they were introduced in the same geographic a=
rea?)

Andy Stadnyk

Lower Sackville