[NatureNS] Brood parasites

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 21:22:09 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_020F_01CFCD3D.479C2BB0

Hi James, Steve, Randy & All,                    Sept 10, 2014
    This is a variation on the theme of predation so mechanisms of =
predation will apply.

    And, as noted by Paul L. Herrington (The phenomenon of predation =
Amer. Sci.51(2):180-192, 1963) ""Nature's way is any way that works"". =
In this essay he condensed 60 years of vertebrate predation research to =
12 pages so the original has a high content/fluff ratio. But condensing =
further-- "I regard the outstanding source of error in appraisals of =
predator-prey relationships as confusion of the fact of predation with =
the effect of predation." and "Watch out for compensations in attempting =
to distinguish between what does and does not count."

    All sorts of compensating adjustments can kick in but perhaps the =
most direct is reduction of intraspecific competition. With fewer host =
young in a given area, competing for finite resources, their survival =
rate will be increased.=20

    But in any case, brood parasitism will tend to cull the offspring of =
potential parents who are less aware and, if this poor awareness has a =
genetic basis then, over many generations, awareness of the host species =
would improve.=20

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
  ----- Original Message -----=20