[NatureNS] Sept 12 - Possible Aurora Borealis

Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 08:37:00 -0300
From: James Churchill <jameslchurchill@gmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--047d7b2e4edeece22e0502f0d172

At Hall's Harbour around 10:30 (couldn't get there earlier) about 30 people
were watching. Despite the strong harbour lights and the rising moon I was
only able the catch very faint greenish-white flickers of light just above
the horizon to the north. My wife reports she saw some reddish light there
just before 10pm.

Thanks for posting amazing pictures folks

On Friday, September 12, 2014, Rick Whitman <
dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com

--
James Churchill
Kentville, Nova Scotia

--047d7b2e4edeece22e0502f0d172

At Hall&#39;s Harbour around 10:30 (couldn&#39;t get there earlier) about 3=
0 people were watching. Despite the strong harbour lights and the rising mo=
on I was only=A0able the catch very faint greenish-white flickers of light=
=A0just above the horizon to the north. My wife reports she saw some reddis=
posting amazing pictures folks=A0<br><br>On Friday, September 12, 2014, Ric=
k Whitman &lt;<a href=3D"javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;dendroica=
.caerulescens@gmail.com&#39;);" target=3D"_blank">dendroica.caerulescens@gm=
ail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin=
:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Glad to hear that =
others saw this. I&#39;ve seen essentially nothing since<br>
the moon came up. The sky is much lighter overall.<br>
Rick.<br>
&gt; I had a good view around 9:00 to 9:30 from the cemetery behind my hous=
e in<br>
&gt; Falmouth. It never got more than about 30 degrees above the horizon. T=
here<br>
&gt; were a few rays and while it was mostly whitish with a hint of green, =
I did<br>
&gt; see a few areas of red.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Pat<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Sent from my iPad<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; On Sep 12, 2014, at 9:50 PM, &quot;Rick Whitman&quot;<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; WOW !!! We live on the South Mtn and have a great view of the N<br=

&gt;&gt; horizon. It has been absolutely wonderful for the past ten minutes=
.<br>
&gt;&gt; Truly classic. Diffuse light but also quasi-searchlight aspects. G=
o<br>
&gt;&gt; look if you have any decent location.<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt; Rick Whitman<br>
&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; On 9/12/14, Blake Maybank &lt;<a>bmaybank@gmail.com</a>&gt; wr=
ote:<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Several web sites are predicting a possible showing of the Nor=
thern<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Lights<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; as far south as Nova Scotia.=A0 There has been some major sola=
r flare<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; acticity of late.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.softservenews.com/Aurora.htm" target=3D"=
_blank">http://www.softservenews.com/Aurora.htm</a><br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; I have yet to see the Aurora in Nova Scotia, so since the nigh=
t is clear<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; I<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; am heading out to see if the Aurora appears.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Look north, and low on the horizon.<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Good luck,<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt;<br>
&gt;&gt;&gt; Blake<br>