[NatureNS] Nocturnal Migration at Amherst for the Week of September 8-14, 2014

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 12:19:58 -0300

Hi All,
Nocturnal migration over Amherst was steady this week and facilitated by
good weather. Even when there were showers during the night, migration
continued before, after, and sometimes during the rain. Total number of
night flight calls was 1,210 almost the same as the total number the week
before (1, 231). There was, nonetheless, a change in the composition of the
flight from the previous week. In both weeks, warblers constituted 67% of
the flight calls recorded. Thrush calls decreased from 24% of the total to
15% while sparrows increased from 4% to 13% of the total.
The most common call recorded was again Swainson's Thrush with 167.
Blackpoll Warbler followed with 153 calls and Magnolia Warbler with 134
calls. Common Yellowthroats appear lower than normal for this time of year
at 68 calls. Chestnut-sided Warblers continue their unusually high numbers
with 44 calls recorded this week. An acoustic monitoring network in New York
State has informed me that they too seem to have unusually high numbers of
Chestnut-sided Warblers.
The increase in sparrow calls was largely due to a doubling of Savannah
Sparrow calls over the previous week. Swainson's Thrushes declined from 284
to 167 calls between last week and the current week. Hermit Thrushes
increased only slightly. Their peak normally occurs in the last week of
September and first week of October.
Rare or uncommon birds recorded this week were Vesper Sparrow (1) and
Blue-winged/Golden-winged Warbler (1). This is the third week in a row that
I have seen the spectrogram of this species complex in my recordings. I have
not recorded it before this year so this appears to be exceptional. This
could be due to the fact that my recording equipment is closer than it has
ever been to the mainland of Canada, or that there is an increase in this
species this year (which appears to be the case for daytime sightings), or
that I am becoming more confident in my identification of species that are
both rare and hard to distinguish with certainty.
A summary list for the week is below.
John

Species/	Calls
Swainson's Thrush	167
Blackpoll Warbler	153
Magnolia Warbler	134
Savannah Sparrow	97
Common Yellowthroat	68
Unidentified warbler of the genus Setophaga	65
Unidentified warbler	51
Black-throated Green Warbler	48
Chestnut-sided Warbler	44
Ovenbird	44
Bay-breasted Warbler	39
White-throated Sparrow	32
Unidentified songbird	27
Yellow-rumped Warbler	27
Northern Parula	22
American Redstart	19
Black-and-White Warbler	18
Unidentified sparrow	16
Hermit Thrush	16
Mourning Warbler	16
Blackburnian Warbler	12
Nashville Warbler	12
Unidentifed warbler of the genus Oreothlypis	12
Lincoln's/Swamp Sparrow	10
Killdeer	8
Canada Goose	7
American Woodcock	5