[NatureNS] re dead uneaten star-nosed moles

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:50:21 -0300

Hi Nancy & All,                                    Sept 20, 2014
    One factor to consider, when dead Star-Nosed Moles are found, is
rainfall in the preceeding 10-20 days and changes in surface drainage,
subsurface drainage or habitat continuity in recent years.

    They, I think, need relatively moist soil in order to feed (always
underground ?). If they have hitched their wagon to an isolated swamp that
dries to the point that feeding is impossible then they will have to start,
weakened by hunger, to search for a wet area and often walk until they drop
dead.

    I don't know about the rest of the province but in the Kentville area it
has been relatively dry for several weeks; good if you want to haul wood
over silty-loam soil with poor surface drainage but perhaps desperate if you
are a Star-Nosed Mole.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville