[NatureNS] HMS Fantome

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 21:06:29 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_9483_01CFDC29.3CF39540

Hi Peter & All,                                Sept 29, 2014
    It is refreshing to be reminded of the huge advances in material =
well being and creature comforts that most of the Western World has =
experienced over the last 200 years and now often take for granted as a =
right.
     Even on Naturens some may not appreciate how fortunate we are and =
how our good fortune is in peril of being reversed by climate change or =
other environmental shipwrecks.
    I recently bought a copy of the 7-CD Cosmos by Carl Sagan and =
thoroughly recommend it. Except for the packaging; some of the CDs seem =
to be permanently attached to their spindles.=20
    In 50 years we have managed to go from earth-bound observation of =
the heavens to close up images of Jupiter's moons while going from =
matches that reliably light and erasers that erase pencil marks to one =
out of ten matches that can be lit given ideal conditions and erasers =
that tear holes in paper; the difference between reaching for the stars =
and reaching for the consumer's wallet while giving nothing in return.
Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville

Ain ta saw, ain ta gnaw an ain ta gie tha larird withaw; with reference =
to18th century grain productivity in Scotland and the downtrodden =
sharecropper.=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20