[NatureNS] Strange squirrel behaviour - NYC

From: "Ian McKay" <ian@amimckay.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 11:16:26 -0300

We just got back from a trip to NYC  and saw some strange behaviour I was
hoping someone could shed some light on. This is possibly unpleasant, please
stop reading if you are tender hearted.

While walking on Roosevelt Island we came upon a small [about 2/3 full size]
grey squirrel that may have been hit by a car and made its way to the grass.
It was twitching, but seemingly barely alive. While we discussed what we
could do for it, a larger grey came down the nearby tree, rushed over to the
fallen squirrel and began to sniff it in earnest. Then, quick as thought, it
grasped the injured squirrel in its mouth and rushed back up the tree! I
wouldn't have thought it could move so fast or nimbly with such a heavy and
awkward load.

   Now, we thought, there is a mother still caring for her offspring. Then,
a darker thought entered our minds [we had be discussing the infamous insane
asylum that used to stand where we were] and wondered...do squirrels eat
meat? shudder.

We are hoping that this is not the case and we witnessed a wonderful,
maternal moment. But the naturalist in us wondered - just how sharp in tooth
and claw nature might be.

Any ideas?

Ian McKay
Scots Bay