[NatureNS] Virginia and Digby Neck Today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 01:25:09 +0000

--_fd6a7359-fdb9-4dfd-9d05-051ff6a331db_

In line with David Currie=2C Ian McLaren=2C et. all and Alix d'Entremont et=
. all=2C we saw roughly 140 plus pine siskins today.  I counted 88 while we=
 were at Gulliver's Cove and I watched groups of them come in off the ocean=
.  We heard others calling as well that I did not count or we did not see. =
 There were still groups coming in as we left the area.  David Walmark=2C D=
orothy Poole and Kevin Lantz were with me.    =20
=20
On the way to Digby Neck as we were passing through Virginia=2C near the Gr=
and Lake sign=2C there was a group of 20 dark-eyed juncos with some America=
n goldfinches and other birds.  I noticed a bird roadside with a prominent =
eye-ring=2C which was the first thing that caught my eye=2C with a flat hea=
d and yellowish wash to the chest and a pale buffy face.  I tried to bring =
it to the attention of the others but just as I said=2C I think I've got a =
grasshopper sparrow=2C the bird flew off the road.  It came back out though=
 and perched on an alder giving me another look.  I was able to bring it to=
 the attention of Dorothy who noticed a pale bill.  I did not see that thou=
gh.  The bird then flew across the road and joined 15 dark-eyed juncos.  It=
 came right out in the open in the middle of the juncos.  Noticeably smalle=
r and then went to the road edge=2C but turned around and ran back in befor=
e the others could get on it.  Unfortunely it did not appear again for the =
photo opp.  Other then this group of juncos=2C there was one other loner.  =
On the way back home though=2C juncos were everywhere in small numbers road=
side.  We saw a number of hermit thrushes along the Virginia Road. =20
=20
While going out along Trout Cove Road=2C we found a group of 10 chipping sp=
arrows.  I saw another group of 30 close to there.  It was not a great spot=
 for stopping for the purpose of safety=2C so I did not get the chance to c=
heck for other rarities that might have been with this larger group. =20
=20
I'll send an e-bird report at a later date of the other birds that we saw a=
nd heard on the outing. =20
=20
James R. Hirtle
Bridgewater
=20
 		 	   		  =

--_fd6a7359-fdb9-4dfd-9d05-051ff6a331db_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 12pt=3B
font-family:Calibri
}
--></style></head>
6">In line with David Currie=2C Ian McLaren=2C et. all and Alix d'Entremont=
&nbsp=3Bet. all=2C we saw roughly 140 plus pine siskins today.&nbsp=3B I co=
unted 88 while we were at Gulliver's Cove and&nbsp=3BI watched&nbsp=3Bgroup=
s of them come in off the ocean.&nbsp=3B We heard others calling as well th=
at I did not count or we did not see.&nbsp=3B There were still groups comin=
g in&nbsp=3Bas we left the area.&nbsp=3B David Walmark=2C Dorothy Poole and=
 Kevin Lantz were with me.&nbsp=3B &nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B</font><BR>&nbsp=
=3B<BR><font size=3D"6">On the way to Digby Neck as we were passing through=
 Virginia=2C near the Grand Lake sign=2C there was a group of 20 dark-eyed =
juncos with some American goldfinches and other birds.&nbsp=3B I noticed a =
bird roadside with a prominent eye-ring=2C which was the first thing that c=
aught my eye=2C with a flat head and yellowish wash to the chest and a pale=
 buffy face.&nbsp=3B I tried to bring it to the attention of the others but=
 just as I said=2C I think I've got a grasshopper sparrow=2C the bird flew =
off the road.&nbsp=3B It came back out though and perched on an alder givin=
g me another look.&nbsp=3B I was able to bring it to the attention of Dorot=
hy who noticed a pale bill.&nbsp=3B I did not see that though.&nbsp=3B The =
bird then flew across the road and joined 15 dark-eyed juncos.&nbsp=3B It c=
ame right out in the open in the middle of the juncos.&nbsp=3B Noticeably s=
maller and then went to the road edge=2C but turned around and ran back in =
before the others could get on it.&nbsp=3B Unfortunely it did not appear ag=
ain for the photo opp.&nbsp=3B Other then this group of juncos=2C&nbsp=3Bth=
ere was&nbsp=3Bone other loner.&nbsp=3B On the way back home though=2C junc=
os were everywhere in small numbers roadside.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BWe saw a numbe=
r of hermit thrushes along the Virginia Road.&nbsp=3B </font><BR><font size=
=3D"6"></font>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6">While going out&nbsp=3Balong Tro=
ut Cove Road=2C we found a group of 10 chipping sparrows.&nbsp=3B I saw ano=
ther group of 30 close to there.&nbsp=3B It was not a great spot for stoppi=
ng for the purpose of safety=2C so I did not get the chance to check for ot=
her rarities that might have been with this larger group.&nbsp=3B </font><B=
report at a later date of the other birds that we saw and heard on the outi=
ng.&nbsp=3B </font><BR><font size=3D"6"></font>&nbsp=3B<BR><font size=3D"6"=
>James R. Hirtle</font><BR><font size=3D"6">Bridgewater</font><BR><font col=
or=3D"#000000" size=3D"6"><br id=3D"FontBreak"></font>&nbsp=3B<BR> 		 	   	=

--_fd6a7359-fdb9-4dfd-9d05-051ff6a331db_--