[NatureNS] Revenue Canada and Non-Partisan Activities

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 00:15:03 -0300

Jm
--_d38e3bd1-b9d3-4011-915d-aa0ab02e67a7_

  The idea of excluding groups that lobby from being charitable organizatio=
ns was originally to discourage them from lobbying for projects of private =
interest or from which some one or some business could profit at the expens=
e of the public.  Of course=2C various governments have broadened this conc=
ept to include any advocacy of positions they disagreed with=2C but prior t=
o the current federal government=2C those advocating environmental protecti=
on or health were considered to be lobbying in the public interest=2C and w=
ere not threatened beyond the mention of this possibility if a government's=
 pet projects were threatened.  Private interests often referred to us as '=
special interest groups"=2C in contrast with public interest groups=2C and =
shallow media coverage has often gone along with this=2C allowing proponent=
s of environmentally unsound projects or policies (often the governments th=
at must approve or deny them) to ensure that environmentalists are treated =
as being unimportant in comparison to those investing money in such project=
s.  This has become more serious in recent years in Canada because of the w=
eakening of our federal environmental impact assessment process in the name=
 of reducing "red tape".

Ironically=2C the greatest tax breaks of all go to the donors to most parti=
san of organizations - the political parties.  This may help explain the ri=
se in Green Parties in many parts of the world.

Wayne Neily
Tremont=2C N. S.