[NatureNS] some birds Crescent Beach and Green Bay

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 15:50:59 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Not much bird action at these Lun Co locations today despite favourable viewing and tidal conditions.

The only shorebirds we saw along the back of Crescent Beach were 3 Greater Yellowlegs and 6 White-Rumped Sandpipers. Only 6 Canada Geese. There were at least 25 Ring-Billed Gulls feeding solitarily on the mud flats. That is more than I usually see here at one time. A Merlin flew low over the flats which helped helped break the tedium.

Sea ducks were also few and far between and are perhaps only starting to arrive for winter. A small group of 6 White-winged Scoters were off Dublin Shore and 9 Black Scoters at Green Bay. Only 3 C Eiders were visible.

Not a very exciting time of the year for birds. Complete list submitted to eBird.

Nancy