[NatureNS] White-flowered Pickerel-Weed (Pontederia cordata)

Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 13:46:30 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>

At 7:45 AM -0800 11/5/14, Paul MacDonald wrote:
>An interesting plant and a good photo Burkhard.
>I've seen a lot of blue ones but never a white one.
>A very useful if underappreciate plant in NS.
>I wonder if this plant is a triploid.

It's a perennial diploid, Paul, but it is tristylous, a fairly rare
mating system that has three anther and stigma lengths rather than
the "pin and thrum" of diploid systems. See
http://labs.eeb.utoronto.ca/barrett/pdf/schb_23.pdf for more.

The flower colour heritability has been investigated and blue is
completely dominant to white (two alleles at a single locus). See
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17709555 for more.

Phil

--

Phil Schappert, PhD

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS, B3P 1J3
902-460-8343 (cell)

philschappert.ca
imaginaturestudio.ca
imaginaturestudio.blogspot.ca
philschappert.com

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                        (Michael Hedges)