[NatureNS] Cattle Egrets near Canning

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 13:44:07 -0400
From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--089e0160bde23915c20507343e45

Jake and I saw the farmer whose cattle is hosting the birds this morning
while we were looking for them,  and he said they have been there at least
a week and maybe longer. We could only see 2, and they seemed very active.

Richard Stern
Sternrichard@gmail.com
Sent from my Android device
On Nov 6, 2014 10:47 AM, "Rick Whitman" <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Bernard Forsythe & I went out this AM to find the Cattle Egrets reported
> by Jim Wolford. There are three as reported, not all that hard to find, but
> possibly very difficult to get close to them. In other words, you may want
> a 'scope. The only place that we could see the birds was on "Canning
> Aboiteau Road", just E of Canning, right where the Habitant River passes
> under the dyke. There's a big, old boat parked there and a circular drive
> which is impassable. You look way over to the W, where the obvious carrots
> come down over the hill, and look for beef cattle. The Egrets are right
> with the cattle, basically among them. We saw all three but there may be
> ways for them to disappear due to land & vegetation. BTW, these birds CAN
> be seen with the naked eye, as far as finding them is concerned. Also BTW,
> don't be confused by all the other carrots. There are shredded cull carrots
> over a huge acreage out there. Go where I described & look from there.
>
> Regards,
> Rick Whitman

--089e0160bde23915c20507343e45

this morning while we were looking for them,=C2=A0 and he said they have be=
en there at least a week and maybe longer. We could only see 2, and they se=
emed very active. </p>
Sternrichard@gmail.com<br>
Sent from my Android device </p>
; &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com">dendroica.caerule=
scens@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br type=3D"attribution"><blockquote class=3D=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding=
-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">Bernard Forsythe &amp; I went out this AM to fi=
nd the Cattle Egrets reported by Jim Wolford. There are three as reported, =
not all that hard to find, but possibly very difficult to get close to them=
. In other words, you may want a &#39;scope. The only place that we could s=
ee the birds was on &quot;Canning Aboiteau Road&quot;, just E of Canning, r=
ight where the Habitant River passes under the dyke. There&#39;s a big, old=
 boat parked there and a circular drive which is impassable. You look way o=
ver to the W, where the obvious carrots come down over the hill, and look f=
or beef cattle. The Egrets are right with the cattle, basically among them.=
 We saw all three but there may be ways for them to disappear due to land &=
amp; vegetation. BTW, these birds CAN be seen with the naked eye, as far as=
 finding them is concerned. Also BTW, don&#39;t be confused by all the othe=