[NatureNS] question re plurals of bird names?? (from nitpicker Jim)

From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 17:54:06 -0400
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

I have just read Ken McKenna’s latest posting, as usual full of interesting stuff, but here is a question I have wanted to raise for some time now — and this will bug some of you, who should sign off now….

In recent times, I have grown tired of trying to know when to apply an “s” to make a plural vs. “knowing” which species are best left alone when forming plural numbers.  Especially problematic are “snipe” vs. “snipes” or “woodcock” or “teal” etc. etc.  I with my “common-sense” rules of grammar have decided to just Anglicize all bird names by adding “s” or “es” to all of them, as some of you have noted when I write “teals”, e.g.

What say the rest of you? or does anyone care?  Is this important to anyone?

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.