[NatureNS] Cackling Goose, Eurasian Wigeon, Onslow area, Col. Co.

From: Eric Mills <E.Mills@Dal.Ca>
To: NS-RBA <ns-rba@yahoogroups.com>,
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 20:58:10 +0000

--_000_141591229044376857DalCa_

This morning I found a lone "Richardson's" Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsi=
i hutchinsii) among about 2500 Canada Geese on the Salmon River viewable fr=
om the Tidal Bore Road, part of which is in Onslow. There was no sigh today=
 of the Greater Snow Goose that has been in the area for a few weeks, despi=
te much searching of flocks. Perhaps it has moved on, or has been "harveste=
d" (i.e. shot).

There were at least 4000 Canada Geese in several flocks between Onslow and =
Masstown, and, at last the proportion of dark-breasted northern geese, attr=
ibutable to Branta canadensis interior, at least some of them from Labrador=
, Baffin Island and West Greenland, has begun to increase.

A drake Eurasian Wigeon was with the usual American Wigeon in the pond oppo=
site the end of Crows Mills Road where it meets Hwy 2/4 in Lower Onslow.

The number of Mallards with the geese on the Salmon River this morning was =
noteworthy - I estimated at least 2000, but only about 10 Blacks,  two Pint=
ails, and no other species of ducks.

--_000_141591229044376857DalCa_

<head>
1">
ottom:0;} --></style>
</head>
ground-color:#FFFFFF;font-family:Calibri,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">
>Branta hutchinsii hutchinsii</em>) among about 2500 Canada Geese on the Sa=
lmon River viewable from the Tidal Bore Road, part of which is in Onslow. T=
here was no sigh today of the Greater Snow
 Goose that has been in the area for a few weeks, despite much searching of=
 flocks. Perhaps it has moved on, or has been &quot;harvested&quot; (i.e. s=
hot).</p>
nd Masstown, and,&nbsp;at&nbsp;last the proportion of dark-breasted norther=
n geese, attributable to&nbsp;<em>Branta&nbsp;canadensis&nbsp;interior</em>=
, at least some of them from Labrador, Baffin Island and
 West Greenland, has begun to increase.</p>
pposite the end of Crows Mills Road where it meets Hwy 2/4 in Lower Onslow.=
 morning was noteworthy - I estimated at least 2000, but only about 10 Blac=
ks, &nbsp;two Pintails, and no other species of ducks.<br>

--_000_141591229044376857DalCa_--