[NatureNS] Pileated Woodpecker nest holes

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 18:25:03 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0D65_01D00A6F.767E2310

Hi Ian & All,                            Nov 27, 2014
    Thanks for the comments.=20
    About the time I sent those images of a "Pileated" woodpecker =
nesting cavity on Nov 12 I realized that it could well be the cavity of =
a smaller woodpecker e.g. Hairy. My only reason for the Pileated label =
was having seen/heard Pileated on or near that tree about 2011, the =
presumed Pileated activity about 50 paces away (Apr 4, 2013 e-mail) and =
the  Pileated observed making a hole about 200 paces away (Apr 15, 2013 =
e-mail); both pasted below.=20
    According to the Cornell site, a Pileated  entrance hole should be =
~3.5" diameter with nesting cavity 10-24" deep. Based on my photos that =
entrance was about 1.6" in diameter and the cavity was about 15" deep. =
So for the time being one should regard my images as being of a =
Woodpecker nesting cavity.=20
    Those nesting hole pieces are currently on top of the wood tier, =
holding plastic down, and I will measure the dimensions directly when I =
have a chance because a scale in images can be deceptive due to =
parallax.
=20
    That Apr 15, 2013 tree was topped by Arthur but I don't know whether =
the break was above, at or below the Pileated hole. I had intended to =
leave both snag & top as wildlife habitat but, now that the question of =
entrance hole dimensions has come up, I will try to get measurements if =
feasible.=20

Yt, Dave Webster Kentville

START OF PASTE\\\\\\\\\\\\
Dear All,                    Apr 15, 2013
    On Apr 4, I split some Poplar windfall wood chunked Dec 26 some 200=20
paces from the Pileated hole (below).
    On Apr 6, I split the rest and noticed Pileated chips nearby but =
could=20
not see.where the chips had come from. On Apr 7 I worked there briefly,=20
clearing space for a tier, and noticed more chips.
    Today I started piling above split wood and soon became aware of=20
Pileated activity in the the tree about one pace from the end of the =
tier;=20
first as falling chips while I was cutting runners with the chain saw =
and=20
then (after removing ear plugs) tuck    tuck    tuck (like a one-lunger =
on=20
idle and far enough away to be barely audible) and with about 1/2 of the =

tail sticking out from the hole and upward. After a few minutes of this =
it=20
would back out of the hole, reach in and down, pull its head back out =
and=20
flick 2 or 3 chips to the right.
    It did not seem at all disturbed by my working there but acted =
anxious=20
and took off when I tried to take a picture. Within minutes of my =
starting=20
to work again it came back and resumed work on the nest cavity. I was =
there=20
about 90 min and it worked most of this time; except when I spooked it =
with=20
the camera and once when it flew to a nearby Ash, cackled, moved upward =
in=20
the Ash and then flew back to the hole.
    I have watched Pileated feeding many times but not seen a nest =
cavity=20
being excavated. The surprise was how muted the sound is. Making a hole =
in=20
wood parallel to the grain is very difficult unless you have a relief =
hole=20
drilled first and can see; so how they manage is a mystery. This tree is =

free of Fomes brackets but the tree center may be softened by fungal=20
invasion.
    On an unrelated note, I saw on Apr 4 where a Squirrel had left a =
litter=20
of White Pine cone scales on wood cut Dec 26. But the nearest White Pine =
is=20
about 200 yards away (400 yards as the Squirrel runs across, up, along,=20
down...). The attraction here is perhaps the shelter provided by the =
partly=20
upturned SE facing stump of the windfall; used by Ruffed Grouse also at =
some=20
point.
YT, Dave Webster, Kentville

----- Original Message -----=20