[NatureNS] harleqin duck plumage

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 17:41:17 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

We watched 3 Harlequin Ducks feeding on mussels near the shore at Green Bay, Lun Co this afternoon. At first we thought they were females by the white splotches in front of and behind the eye. But the spots looked too crisp to be females and there was a whitish vertical line on the flank below the wing towards the rear. 1st year males possibly (they did not have the white markings as shown on the end of the wings in Sibleys)? Or eclipse males?

Thanks for any comments, Nancy