[NatureNS] Canada's position on at-risk species 'unprecedented'

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:45:48 +0000

xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.micro
I'm no govt apologist, but perhaps this should not necessarily be interpreted as inexplicable active support of trading in endangered species by using approval-delaying tactics.
Instead (extending Dave's first few comments), it might be a more parochial response from an Environment Canada bureaucracy proclaiming: "Our manpower resources have been so severely damaged that we can't respond quickly to this sort of thing, so need a delay.  Message: take note, we need more govt resources, or you'll see more of this sort of thing which may continue to portray Canada in a bad light".

Heartless blackmail perhaps, but one shouldn't underestimate the bitterness of the scorned/underfunded.
Steve