[NatureNS] Canada's position on at-risk species 'unprecedented'

From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 19:16:09 -0400

   &l

------=_NextPart_000_4462_01D01576.EB3E0960

Hi John & All,
    Are you involved in prevention and remediation also or only =
monitoring  ?=20

    There is much to be said for those who produce, using local =
resources, goods for which there is an export market. This kind of =
primary production is the fuel that keeps all the other wheels of the =
economy turning. In the absence of wealth production there eventually =
can be no wealth consumption.

    Shortly after the cod stocks collapsed and the fishery was shut  =
down, I heard an Economics Prof. being interviewed on the radio. He =
explained that Nfld. would be fine. There would still be Education, =
Health Care, Police work and Highway Maintenance. However necessary all =
of these are they consume wealth.=20

    This kind of distorted thinking is still current. The Dec. 22 =
Editorial in Maclean's notes that a downturn in the oil and gas sector =
is relatively unimportant because it comprises only 6% of GNP. "Health =
care, Education and Banking are each bigger; real estate is more than =
twice as big."

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
  ----- Original Message -----=20