[NatureNS] Can birds predict storms before they occur

From: "John Kearney" <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 10:09:31 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01D01C3D.0C77E070

Hi to All on NatureNS,

As an social anthropologist, I find it exciting that western science is
discovering what indigenous people have known for millennia; namely that
certain types of animal behaviour can serve as an early warning system for
the approach of storms or natural disasters. I was working in Sri Lanka in
2004 at the time of the tsunami, and many villagers related to me how many
types of animals were moving in large numbers to higher ground, hours before
the tsunami struck. Unfortunately, these observations did not result in the
people taking preventive action since the culture had already become
sufficiently westernized. However, on one island in the Indian Ocean where
the indigenous culture had remained intact, the villagers did follow the
lead of the animals and moved to higher ground thus avoiding any casualties.
This incident was reported by several news agencies at the time.

John

------=_NextPart_000_0016_01D01C3D.0C77E070

xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-CA link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>Hi to All =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>As an =
social anthropologist, I find it exciting that western science is =
discovering what indigenous people have known for millennia; namely that =
certain types of animal behaviour can serve as an early warning system =
for the approach of storms or natural disasters. I was working in Sri =
Lanka in 2004 at the time of the tsunami, and many villagers related to =
me how many types of animals were moving in large numbers to higher =
ground, hours before the tsunami struck. Unfortunately, these =
observations did not result in the people taking preventive action since =
the culture had already become sufficiently westernized. However, on one =
island in the Indian Ocean where the indigenous culture had remained =
intact, the villagers did follow the lead of the animals and moved to =
higher ground thus avoiding any casualties. This incident was reported =
by several news agencies at the time.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"'>John</span>=
------=_NextPart_000_0016_01D01C3D.0C77E070--